We define “patient advocacy” as:
Supporting and empowering patients to make informed decisions, navigate the system to get the health care they need, build strong partnerships with providers while working towards system improvement to support patient-centered care. Patient advocates are dedicated first and foremost to the well-being of the patients they serve.
Below are some examples of how we help our patients to “navigate the system to get the health care they need” in our practice?
- We ask you what your goals are, so together we are pursuing what YOU want and need, not just what we might want for you.
- We help you understand the causes of dental disease, so you can resume control of your future dental health and be less dependent on providers.
- We help you understand what is “dental health” and “dental disease”
- We explain to you in plain terms what is going on in your mouth and what the consequences of not treating problems may be in relation to what your goals.
- We explain to you what we will do before we do it; and then tell you what we did after we are done.
- We help you understand the costs of your care BEFORE treatment to minimize any misunderstanding or surprises.
- We help you understand your insurance benefits and the limitations of insurance in achieving your dental health goals.
- We file dental insurance claims on your behalf.
- We take the time to make sure you understand the dental health care process from beginning to end.
For more topics on Dental Advocacy, please click these links: The Truth About Dental Insurance & Dr. John Korolewski